Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sometimes something must be sacrificed to win a battle

This story really shock's me... with a mix of proudness and deception.
Some months ago my dear friend Paul Hermann, maker of one of the best and beautiful reels in the world, ask me to make a special rod for Atlantic Salmon fishing.
This was a real challenge because this was my first rod with so special purpose... fight with the king of the rivers!. The Atlantic Salmon. I designed a special taper using some of my experience I got, fighting and fishing another king of the rivers... our "Fresh water Dorado".
Because of that and trying to honor this spectacular fish I called it, the Golden Salmon.
It is a 8' 6" hollow build rod for a #7 line. A light Salmon rod, that cast wonderful, I love it and also Paul love it so I feel very happy with the new taper and the new rod..
A week ago my dear friend send me an email with a mixing of good news and bad news and you will understand why...

The following are some pictures that Paul send me and part of the story on his own words.

P5310027

Marcelo...I am feeling very very bad...I broke the Golden salmon at the very end of a long battle with an almost 30 pound bright ,fresh from the ocean, very, very strong salmon. "Opening morning I drew a very good pool and on our fifth boat drop threw the pool I hooked this monster...The Golden salmon was casting perfectly...I love how it casts...fits my style to a tee.....I had a light tippet on so I knew I would have to play any fish carefully....the fish came to the fly and didn't take...left just a huge swirl...I rested it a minute and cast again...huge hit and pull...played the fish for about 45 minutes..it made 5 long runs well into the backing...one of which had us taking the canoe down threw a set of rapids to follow the fish......my guide Kevin moved the 26 foot Gaspe canoe to shore twice to play the fish from more slack water...The Matapedia is a big river with heavy water with the spring runoff early in
June....Kevin had the net ready as I turned the head of this strong fish into the net...I heard a cracking sound and looked down to see the the rod literally explode just above the cork handle and inbetween the intermediate wraps...it looked as if the strips all came apart at once...I grabbed the upper section of rod and tried to play the fish ..but it must have been weakened by the fight as well....in desperation I grabbed the line and turned the head of the fish into the net...if the rod had broken even 5 minutes earlier in the fight it would have been lost....

P5310051

"I usually don't kill salmon anymore...I did plenty of that in my younger days,,,but this was a special fish....my first salmon on the Golden salmon and the first salmon of the year at Cold Springs Camp....a feast was prepared the next noon of fresh fiddleheads and salmon for the whole staff and all the fishermen....the story of this fish was told and will be remembered for years to come....my only hope is that you will be able to rebuild this wonderful rod for me....of all the fish I have ever caught,,I will remember this one forever..."

P5310061

Thank you Paul... thank you for this great story. That was an incredible fish and an incredible battle, I will also remember it forever!!! We will make it next time, I will work for that...

3 comments:

FL Captain said...

bamboo rod?

http://www.floridaboatsearch.com

Marcelo Calviello said...

Yes FL, Bamboo rod

Unknown said...

Interesting point to note Marcello that your Integrated ferrule did not fail ) I assume it was the Integrated bamboo ferrule from the photo?)